Imagine undergoing a complex dental treatment like a root canal, extraction, or oral surgery. When your treatment is complete, you have no recollection of the time it took, the pain, the noise, or the discomfort you were expecting. We are pleased to offer our patients the option of comfortable, safe, and effective sedation dentistry. Patients who benefit from sedation dentistry have:
- A fear or anxiety of being at the dentist
- A hard time sitting still for long periods of time
- A hard time getting (and staying) numb from anesthetics
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry allows Dr. Gardner to provide a variety of dental treatments safely and comfortably for patients who experience anxiety when visiting the dentist. There are several benefits to sedation dentistry, including:
- No memory of undergoing the procedure
- No sense of time while under sedation
- No sense of smell or sound
- No fear or anxiety during treatment
Patients who have undergone a procedure using sedation dentistry will tell you it is a simple, relaxing way to experience dentistry.
What levels of sedation are available to my child?
Sedation dentistry is closely regulated by law, and there are different sedative states we offer depending on the needs of your child.
- Mild Sedation — Anxiolysis is the lightest form of sedation dentistry and is used for patients with mild anxiety for routine procedures, or for longer procedures, or more complex situations. We use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to administer mild sedation. Your child remains awake or somewhat sleepy throughout the entire procedure and is able to breathe on their own, but feels a sense of relaxation. Patients recover quickly from anxiolysis sedation by breathing oxygen for several minutes after the procedure is complete. Recovery is quick so your child can resume normal activities immediately.
- General Anesthesia — Treatment under general anesthesia is completed while your child is asleep and unaware of the procedures being done, painlessly! We focus on your child's comfort and safety by only working with trained medical anesthesiologists to provide general anesthesia while Dr. Gardner completes any necessary treatment in a very efficient way to minimize sedation time. Young children, children with anxiety, and children with special healthcare needs can benefit from this form of sedation when they have dental treatment needs that would be difficult or traumatic to complete otherwise. All of their treatment is completely in only one appointment, so when they wake up they are cavity-free!
Please contact our practice to schedule a consultation, learn more about sedation dentistry, and find out which sedation dentistry method may be right for you.